Council of Communication Association
September 22, 2014
Linda Putnam, Chair, U. of California, Santa Barbara
Patrice Buzzanell, Purdue University
- The JCR list of Communication journals for the Thomson-Reuters ISI (Institute for Scientific Information—also publishes the Social Science Citation Index (SSCI) that includes over 4500 journals. The JCR Social Science Editions includes journals from 56 separate disciplines and sub-disciplines.
- In 1997, ISI had 36 Communication journals included in the JCR. When CCA became involved work with ISI committee, about 2005, we had 44 journals included in our list. In September 12, 2008, CCA sent a team of representatives to Thomson-Reuters to talk about our JCR and ways journal evaluations could better represent the field. The team was Linda Putnam, Chair, Michael Roloff from NCA, and Charles Self from AEJMC. Thomson agree to work with us to expand our journals in the field, particularly related to international journals and areas of the field that were underrepresented. CCA has been successful on this front.
- In the years since CCA has been involved, we have helped shepherd or nominated successfully 15 journals. (Argumentation; Asian Journal of Communication; Communications-European Journal of Communication Research; Communication and Critical Cultural Studies; Environmental Communication; European Journal of Communication; Journal of Mass Media Ethics; Journal of Public Relations Research; Journalism Studies; Journalism: Theory, Practice & Criticism; Information, Communication and Society; Management Communication Quarterly; Media Culture & Society; New Media & Society; Rhetorical Society Quarterly).
- During the years that CCA has been involved with ISI, we have also successfully recommended three journals for joint listing with JCR from other disciplines: IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication, Journal of Language and Social Psychology, and Personal Relationships.
- We currently have 77 journals included in the list. Newest journals added to the list (7 new journals):
Convergence: The International Journal of Research into New Media Technologies
Critical Discourse Studies
International Journal of Mobile Communication
Journal of Media Psychology: Theories, Methods and Application
Journalism: Theory, Practice & Criticism (nominated twice by CCA, close work with Sage and editor Barbie Zelizer)
Journal of SMPE—Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers
- Journals included in our list in 2012-2013 that were removed include:
Cyberpsychology & Behavior (as recommended by CCA-ISI Task Force—no communication editorial board members, editors, or inclusion in the mission statement).
Communicacion y Sociedad (Spanish)
Estud Mensaje Period (Spanish)
- Other journals on the list of potential nominations:
- American Journalism
- Communication, Culture and Critique
- Feminist Media Studies
- International Communication Gazette
- International Journal of Business Communication
- Journal of Family Communication
- Journal of International and Intercultural Communication
- Journal of Radio and Audio Media
- Journalism & Communication Monographs
- KEIO Communication Review—Japan
- Popular Communication